Saturday, March 8, 2008

White Theology

In Mo’s presentation handout last Tuesday she observed in James W. Perkison’s article, “White Theology: Outing Supremacy in Modernity,” that the white/male normative gaze still exists today. She states that “our social structure and media have this gaze as the base for women’s approval level, that women must conform to and be a product of desire for white men.” I definitely agree that beauty is defined from the gaze of the white male. For instance, women tend to discipline the body in order to conform to this ideal image through corsets, bras, heels, etc. Furthermore, in terms of race and ethnicity, we see European beauty as the norm while other races’ beauty is categorized as “exotic” and “unusual.” This beauty ideal and this white normative gaze clearly illustrates white supremacy and how this dominant culture elicits self-defined superiority. For instance, in “The American Holocaust: The Conquest of the New World,” David E. Stannard states that the idea that Native Americans were actually human was constantly questioned because “if they were men, they were ‘men without God, without Law, without breeches’” (229). I thought it was extremely funny that their lack of clothes presumes that they are savages. But however illogical, it was not surprising to me. This fact that I was not shocked or surprised by the article's illustrations is in actuality extremely sad. Essentially, this line of thinking illustrates how Europeans did not and (for the most part) could not, put themselves in the shoes of Native Americans. Instead, there was a presumption and deep rooted belief that their culture was superior to all other cultures. This is true even today. We call certain types of customs archaic and villages without electricity are deemed primitive. We cannot see the benefits of having these different customs because it is ingrained in our minds that our way is the most effective way. I go back to Ishmael again when he states that, “each Leaver people has a system that works well for them because it…was suited to the terrain in which they lived, suited to the climate in which they lived, suited to the biological community…suited to their own particular tastes, preferences, and visions of the world” (206). Ishmael calls this “wisdom.” However, it is this wisdom that our dominant culture lacks because we insist that our way of living is the best way regardless of climate, biology, taste, etc. It illustrates how the United States’ culture is deeply ingrained with white privilege because we believe that we have the right to control and criticize the activities of other cultures and customs. Who’s to say our customs are superior or even correct? It is because of the white male normative gaze.

James W. Perkison continues his argument of white theology and white privilege by stating that “white self-confession requires more than mere self-naming or ‘me- too-ism.’ It demands clear steps of conversion away from the historical intentions of material privileges of white self-interest” (226). When individuals come to the realization that they are beneficially impacted by white privilege it is a profound discovery. However, Perkison notes that dismantling white privilege goes beyond just admitting that the privilege exists. The hardest part is consciously taking steps to strip some of that privilege from a person’s life. Perkison examines this white privilege through gated community living. He notes that “for some, refusal to live ‘middle class’ in lifestyle and ‘gated’ in a place is a deep choice of spiritual formation and a first step toward social solidarity with the marginalized” (228). This seemingly simple choice actually has powerful connotations. Living in a gated community assumes that a safer environment can be created with a certain level of wealth and money. It also presumes that a gated community is in fact safer than a street without a gate. Furthermore, instead of taking action to change and uplift a community or area, a gated community encourages that money can buy safety and other non material things.

Perkison also asserts throughout this article that everyone benefits either indirectly or directly from this privilege and it takes individual and collective responsibility to join the struggle. The “tongue” or the voice cannot alone solve any solutions. Instead, it is “complex rhythm—in concert with other bodies similarly working anguish into eloquence—is the longest-standing human antidote for such inchoate eruptions” (232). It requires that we no longer look through the white/male gaze and value the white male body as the norm in our culture. It requires a complete reformation of our cultural assumptions. For instance, in our society today most, including myself, still struggle with identifying what is white culture and identifying my white privilege when it takes on the most minuscule forms in my life and in the life of others. Furthermore, this white gaze relates directly to our society’s preference and use of labels for categorization. Labels are used to classify people on a scale where white actions and white culture is normative. Certain types of speech and certain types of dress are valued over others as a way to illustrate covertly that white culture is at “the apex of the great chain of being” (71). Perkison states that “confronting white supremacy in oneself, sooner of later, means exploring the possibility of learning to speak in more than just one voice, to express more than just one rhythm, to reiterate more than just one culture” (238). Ultimately, I take this to mean that even if we use labels as a way of identification, we need to escape from this antiquated idea of assigning value to certain labels.

Perkison concludes his article by briefing touching on the issue of baptism and religion in the context of white supremacy. He explains that instead of experiencing a “momentary, a brief ‘wetting’” of this enlightenment we need a baptismal reprogramming where an individual is enlightened and “able to see and feel the significance of the entire system of supremacy” which would inevitably involve “a disinterring of the theological structure of whiteness as a mode of identity” (245). In these brief last two or three pages Perkison makes a very strong case in which he unveils the negative aspect of religion in the dominant culture. I feel that most hide under the façade of enlightenment that comes with baptism and religion. They realize that discrimination and this “othering” is unnecessary and unwarranted. However, just as recognition of the problem is not enough, neither is a brief water drop of enlightenment. Instead, there needs to be an inclusive look at white supremacy and how it manifests in most religious structures. For instance, at the most obvious level, how is it that today, women are not allowed to be in the high positions of the Catholic Church? How come some religions are segregated by race and gays are condemned for their lifestyle? These questions and more need to be examined and scrutinized in order to see that small silvers of enlightenment does not dismantle this “theological structure of whiteness” that is so prevalent in the dominant religions and in dominant society today.

2 comments:

yumYumgrapefruit said...

When you mention that we believe our customs are superior to others I think this is not only something true of America but I think this is true for most of the world. Don’t arguments happen because people have the tendency they are in the right. People have arguments all over the world, so why leave it at America. This idea that my idea is the right idea probably runs rampant in many cultures and it is only through civil, meaning open to ideas, discussion that one is able to see the value of another’s point of view. We talk about the white man’s gaze in America, but I wonder about the yellow man’s gaze in Asia, or the black man’s gaze in Africa, or the brown mans gaze in Mexico. I have not visited these countries but I would assume that they see beauty in a different light there, but they still have their culture goggles on. They still see the beauty that their culture has ingrained in them. I think people have these color gazes based off of what was cultured inside them. Is it possible to culture someone into not wearing single color goggles and just see every thing as beautiful? I’d like to say I see everything as beautiful, and in a sense I do. I have done reading and I know that there are different types of beauty out there, but still I try to fit into the mold that my culture prescribes as beautiful. I try to lose weight. I try to be stylish. I try to fit that mold. I’d like to say that I have read texts on the atrocities performed on other humans and do not feel little prickles of fright when I see an African American. But I cannot say that. Despite the readings, despite my compassion, despite my empathy I am still pulled into the loop of the white mans gaze of the U.S. So, even though I am learned how can I have these prickles of fear leave me? How can I not only accept all cultures but embody them? I think it has to do with living in the shoes of each person. If I stepped out of my box of whiteness and befriended someone of another race, then that would be one step toward having those cultural prickles of fear eliminated.
Oh. On another note, or most likely around the same note when you said “It illustrates how the United States’ culture is deeply ingrained with white privilege because we believe that we have the right to control and criticize the activities of other cultures and customs.” I was reminded of the documentary Ten Questions for the Daili Lama. Right n Chinese have invaded Tibet and are converting Tibetan’s culture to Chinese. Chinese restaurants are being erected, Chinese stores, Chinese language. Native Tibetans are forced to speak Chinese and are forced to submit to Chinese law and if they don’t they are killed or tortured instantly. For the Chinese, they must believe that it is their right to take over Tibet. I don’t know. I saw parallel. I think there is more gaze than the white man’s gaze.
Towards the end of your post you mention that Perkinson makes an assertion of the negative aspect of religion on the dominate culture. I am trying to think back on my own religious experiences and I don’t think its really a façade of enlightenment necessarily. I think it is more of a cloud of ignorance that can be lifted with attaining knowledge on the subject. Sure, there are they people who know that they are being discriminatory, but I think most people just don’t think about what it would be like on the other end. They aren’t hiding anything, they just don’t know.

Anyway, I’m going to get going. I really enjoyed reading your post because it summed up the reading quite well. Hope you are well and see you tomorrow.

Amanda said...

Hi Stacy. Hope you are doing well today. I am choosing to respond to your post because you previously replied to me, and I would like to continue the dialog.
First of all, I totally agree with your comments surrounding the gaze of the white man over standards of beauty with in our culture. In any fashion magazine you can see the standard of beautiful equated with the European ethnicity. In a class last semester, Leny pointed out something I guess I had noticed, but never actually considered, that the women of color in magazines or whatever often have features associated with the European standard of beauty. Features like small, narrow noses, lighter skin than average within one’s ethnicity, slightly Asian eyes, as opposed to stereotypical Asian shape. Once Leny brought this to my attention, I have noticed this in many forms of cultural media.
When you discussed the concept that Europeans could not (or would not? Right?) put themselves in the shoes of Native Americans, and in turn, or result, judged their culture with bias, reminds me of class on Tuesday. The deep seated idea that their culture was superior combined with the fact they could, or would, not make their judgments without ethnocentric bias, overwhelmingly contributed to a great deal of miscommunication between the two cultures. Without being able to see the new culture as a whole made up of different parts (like values, politics, etc), Europeans incorrectly assumed they other culture lacked important morals, and promptly assigned the term “savage” to them. On Tuesday something came up that floored me, I have not been able to shake thinking back to it over and over. We were discussing guilt and where it originates from. A few classmates assumed I did not feel guilt because I an not “religious.” Crazy, crazy, crazy. I feel gulit for all kinds of things. Just because I do not fear upsetting a god or going to hell I still know exactly what guilt feels like. It is what keeps me up at night instead of sleeping. My brother and I talked about it when I got home this week. He stated he thinks guilt (among other things) come from societal values and culture. Which any AMCS major can tell you contributes to many facets of identity. My parents may not have introduced me to god and heaven and hell, but they sure made sure I entered the world trying to be a good person, just for being a good person’s sake, because the world need more good people floating around in it. I feel guilty when I make a mistake that might hurt someone, when I offend someone accidentally, when I make decisions that might not pan out the way I want in my pursuit of life happiness. What really bugged me, was the idea that so many people out there might make such a harsh judgment on my morality with a bias exactly like this. Do churches and religions teach their members that unreligious people do not feel guilt? Or is it a widely accepted idea….Whatever the reason people might assume I, and others like me (I know they are out there!), lack guilt, it is very similar to the assumptions made by Europeans regarding the Native Americans. The simple fact that differences existed, impeded any rational, unbiased conceptual learning about the other culture. The blinders they wore prevent them from seeing a possible different way of life, merely different, not sub-superior morality-wise. Okay! Enough ranting. I just feel like I have a little window into the frustrations some native people might have felt.
One last comment, I am still struggling with ways to shed my tacit involvement with having an unearned privilege in our culture and world. AMCS has helped I many ways, and disowning label making assumptions seems like a very important aspect of turning the world in the right direction.