Thursday, April 17, 2008

Lecture on Sacred Ecology

Lecture: Wednesday (4-16-08). 7pm. Dr. James Preston. Sacred Ecology

The lecture yesterday reiterated and reinforced many of the topics that we are exploring in this class. Dr. James Preston gave a generalized overview of issues that reinforce this idea that ecology must have a sacred aspect in order to be effective. For instance, he illustrated how most Native American tribes have a spiritual bond with animals which is overtly seen through rituals in their everyday life. He stated that one tribe expresses how they are married to the buffalo. This metaphoric marriage (as I saw it) represents the ultimate connection with animals. I believe that in marriage there has to be some kind of reciprocity, compromise, and respect in order to be successful and the Native Americans illustrate this level of intimacy and kinship with animals.

Dr. James Preston also illustrated the tendency for religious ideals to either reaffirm nature or deny and control nature. He stated that Hinduism, Buddhism, and Daoism all maintain a kind of equilibrium with nature. They use nature as part of their identity. Whereas, Western monotheistic religion tends to use the wilderness as a mechanism for control or they view it as a dangerous place. I definitely agree that imbalance with nature (or lack of respect of nature) is problematic because it induces a sense of apprehension and fear. However, we shouldn’t go to the other extreme and place nature or the wilderness as supreme. Dr. Preston touched on the idea that it is also dangerous to romanticize nature. For instance, he played a video of individuals participating in New Age religion where they would literally cry and scream among the trees. He stated that although ideal, this doesn’t accomplish anything. I also agree that apologizing to nature and trees is not totally effective because it is not proactive.

Ultimately, Dr. Preston argues that we need to think of ecology as more than just pragmatics - we need to view the earth as sacred. I believe that we can’t alienate ourselves from wilderness nor can we romanticize it. We need to find a middle ground that is conducive to both nature and humans. Can this be achieved? The lecture lacked any concrete solutions for this problem and I think we still need to find a solution that will put us in equilibrium with nature.

No comments: